Need a meter base installed or updated? Remodeling your home and need a new meter base installed? Has the city or utility company required that you upgrade your meter base on your older home? No problem! Barney’s Electric will gladly be at your service!
So, what exactly is a meter base and why would you change one out? Both of these questions will be answered for you below, and if you have further questions or if we can assist you in any way please contact Barney’s Electric 972-771-9464. For your convenience, you may also request services from this site.
What Is A Meter Base?
The meter base is where the power comes in from the power company and the meter goes into. The meter is read on a monthly basis to determine electrical usage for the previous month. Meter bases have wires and lugs where the wires attach. These lugs over years can become loose and burn up; wires can be over loaded and burn up. Once this happens our technicians at Barney’s Electric will take out a city permit and replace the meter and any other damages and then it get inspected by the city to get power restored.
Meter Bases generally do not have to be replaced very often, but they do on occasion. Below you will find reasons why a meter base would have to be replaced.
- Your meter base may be old and outdated – possibly not even up to city electrical code.
- Your meter base may be outdated so that would not pass under current National Electric Code (NEC). This means it most likely isn’t up to city code. In the event that you sell your home, the new owner may request for it to be replaced prior to closing.
- If a permit is pulled with a city for other electrical work being performed at the home, the city may also require that the meter base be brought up to current code as well.
- You may be changing the size of the electrical service in the home which may also require a new meter base be installed.
- When upgrading the electrical panel in the home, it may be necessary to replace the meter base.
Most importantly, like any other electrical components, safety is the number one concern. If you are concerned about the safety of your meter base, or have any questions, please contact Barney’s Electric at 972-771-9464. For your convenience, you may also request services from this site.