Did you know that electrical fires, electrocution and electric shock injuries are the most common threats in regards to your electrical safety? Also, did you know that according to the National Fire Protection Association, fires starting in electrical systems or lighting equipment damage 24,000 homes and kill 320 people each year.
At Barney’s Electric your safety is our foremost concern. We have implemented this page into our website to provide you with helpful electrical safety tips. If you have any questions or we can assist you in any way, please contact our office at 972-771-9464. For your convenience, you may also request services from this site.
Electrical Safety Tips Suggested By The Pros At Barney’s Electric:
- Check for loose fitting plugs as they may overheat.
- Make The cords are not cracked or frayed.
- Keep cords out of high-traffic areas in your home.
- Make sure cords are not overloaded.
- Extension cords should only be used temporarily, not on a permanent basis.
- Do not staple or nail extension cords to walls or baseboards.
- Make sure plugs fit your outlets and never force a plug to fit your outlet.
- Avoid overloading outlets with too many appliances.
- Use GFCI’s (Group Fault Circuit Interrupters) in any area where water and electricity can come into contact.
- Check wattage of bulbs to make sure they are the correct wattage for the size of the fixture.
- Protect young children, use safety caps on all wall outlets.
- Unplug all small kitchen appliances and household items (hairdryers, curling irons) when not in use.
- Outdoor outlets should have waterproof covers, and be GFCI Protected.
- Never leave faceplates off outlets or switches.
- Do not use portable space heaters near combustibles such as curtains or newspapers.
By recognizing electrical hazards that may be present in your home, you can protect your family, home and assets from damage caused by electrical surges.
If you have any questions or we can assist you in any way, please feel free to contact Barney’s Electric at 972-771-9464. For your convenience, you may also request services from this site.